12/11/2004

cell phone scamming for dirty old men

Day 1; Day 2

Day 3

Went to the mall food court today with Jack, Marion and Meg for a round of ear surfing. Nothing good going on—we changed tables three times and didn't hear anything better than the results of Survivor and some guy talking about his spam problems. Nothing like that day we overheard the lady telling her teenie daughter how to have sex without getting pregnant. That was a classic!

Marion thought there would be more people talking about the election, she keeps going on about red state/blue state until I'm crazy with it. She says Hawaii is blue, so it must be the coolest way to vote. I listened as long as I could stand, then told her my Mom didn't even vote. It isn't because she couldn't, either, I told her. Nobody stopped her or anything, she just didn't figure one little vote would make any difference.

I think Mom just didn't want to spend the time. I mean, this is someone who every other day turns her panties inside out to save the two seconds it would take to get a clean pair out of the drawer. Really!

Instead of starting Marion off on a tirade, though, she got all quiet when a guy sat down next to us and whipped out his cell phone. Marion whispers, Can we move to another table? So, okay, we moved, but when she sat down again, she doesn't want us to listen to anyone else.

She says, I gotta tell you guys what happened to me last night. I went to the big grocery store just down the hill from my house, right? And I was checking out the cheap DVDs they have when I hear this guy saying, You're really beautiful, you're really hot. I look and it's this nasty old guy standing right behind me, close-close. But he's talkin' on his cell phone.

I think, He's saying that to whoever's on the phone with him. But he looks me right in the eye, licks his old dry lips and covers the phone with his fingers, and says it again. Meantime he's bumping his hip against his cart, gradually getting it curved around so it's touching the DVD stand in front of me, and he's kinda like pinning me against the stand.

Marion looks really mad, and I wonder what she did to blow this guy away. But she surprised me - she said she figured there was no way to protest. If she called the manager on him, he could just claim she misunderstood what he said to the girl who was on the phone. Meanwhile, he was playing one girl against another in his mind, probably all over the store.

Jack said maybe she could get an air-horn and blow it really loud next to his other ear. I say I think that might get her in more trouble than the guy. We all sympathized, but no one really has an answer.

0 Comments:

<< Home